Accidents of all kinds have the potential to result in serious physical, emotional, and financial losses. If you’ve been in an accident and believe someone else’s negligence was the contributing factor, you may have grounds to file a claim to seek compensation for the damages you incurred. To maximize your chances of recovering full and fair compensation, we recommend working with a Plainfield personal injury lawyer from Schweickert Ganassin Krzak Rundio, LLP.
Depending on the severity of the accident you were involved in and the injuries you sustained, you could be looking at weeks, months, or even longer for your recovery. You may have to spend some time in the hospital and it’s likely you’ll need to take time off of work. While you may have some paid time off to use, you could be struggling financially in the event that time runs out. When someone else acts inappropriately and causes you harm, you have the right to pursue a personal injury claim in an attempt to recover what you’ve lost financially and for the pain and suffering you have experienced and may experience in the future.
The personal injury claims process isn’t always straightforward. In order to ensure you receive the compensation you need to get your life back in order, you’ll want to work with a Plainfield injury attorney who can guide you through the process, explain your rights and options along the way, and ensure the negligent party is held accountable for their actions.
Common Causes of Personal Injuries
A personal injury claim can arise out of many situations. Some of the most common accidents clients come to us with, however, include the following:
- Car Accidents. As one of the most common causes of injuries and accidental fatalities in the United States, thousands of Illinois residents are harmed every year in auto collisions. The majority of crashes are the result of human error. If you believe another driver was distracted, fatigued, intoxicated, or reckless when they crashed their vehicle into yours, a Plainfield car accident lawyer can determine if you have a valid claim.
- Truck Accidents. While a truck accident is a type of vehicular collision, there are different factors that come into play when filing an injury claim. As a Plainfield truck accident lawyer can explain, determining the liability in a trucking accident can be challenging because it’s possible the at-fault party is not the truck driver. Additionally, there are a significant number of rules and regulations that are applicable to truck drivers that need to be understood in order to get the best result in a truck crash case.
- Medical Malpractice. If you believe you’ve been injured by a doctor or other medical professional, you should seek guidance from a Plainfield medical malpractice lawyer. Med mal cases are among the most complex when it comes to the types of personal injury law. Without strong legal representation, you’re unlikely to recover the amount of compensation you deserve.
- Nursing Home Abuse. In the event your loved one has been abused or neglected in their long-term care facility, a Plainfield nursing home abuse lawyer can evaluate the situation and determine how to help your loved one recover. Nursing home abuse is more common than most people realize. It’s important to protect residents’ rights and ensure they receive the treatment they need to live a high-quality life. Negligent facilities must be held accountable for their actions.
- Workers’ Compensation. On-the-job injuries are not uncommon. In fact, millions of employees are injured at work every year all over the country. If you’ve been hurt at work in Illinois, a Plainfield workers’ compensation lawyer can help you navigate the state’s workers’ comp laws and ensure you receive the maximum benefits you’re entitled to.
In the event you do not see your accident listed above, you should still reach out to our law firm. Our experienced injury attorneys represent accident victims with a variety of claims, and we’re prepared to evaluate your claim and determine if we can help you hold the negligent party accountable for your accident and injuries.
Filing a Personal Injury Claim in Plainfield
When you’re injured because of someone else’s actions, civil/ tort law allows you to file a claim to seek a monetary award for your losses. Personal injury claims are generally based on the concept of negligence. To file a successful claim, you must be able to prove the opposing party owed you a duty of care, they failed to meet that duty, their failure resulted in your injuries, and you incurred losses because of your injuries.
Illinois follows a comparative negligence law. This means that if it’s determined you were partially at fault for your accident, your compensation amount can be reduced by your percentage of the fault. If, for example, your claim is valued at $200,000 and you’re found to be 10% at fault for what happened, you’d only be able to claim $180,000 for your losses. In the event someone is deemed more than 50% at fault, they are not eligible for any award amount.
All personal injury claims are subject to a statute of limitations, which limits the amount of time a person has to take legal action after an accident. Statutes of limitations exist primarily because the value of evidence tends to decrease as time passes. In Illinois, most personal injury lawsuits must be filed within two years of the date the accident occurred or the injury was discovered. In the event you’re filing a claim against a city or county, you only have one year to file a lawsuit.
It’s imperative to abide by the statute of limitations. If you fail to meet the time limit and you still choose to file a claim, it’s likely the court will dismiss it without review and you will have rendered yourself ineligible for any amount of compensation. In order to ensure you do not miss the statutory period in which to file a claim, it is important to get representation early.
The Village of Plainfield, Illinois
Located in Will and Kendall counties, the Village of Plainfield, Illinois has a rich history. Incorporated in 1834, families often relocated from Chicago to Plainfield to get away from the urban congestion as Chicago rapidly expanded. Known as “The Mother of Chicago,” Plainfield is home to a bustling downtown and a number of places to enjoy the outdoors.
In 2015, Plainfield was home to over 42,000 residents. According to village estimates, the population could increase to 62,000 by 2030. Downtown Plainfield is a pedestrian-focused destination for shopping, dining, and entertainment. If you’re looking to get outside, you can visit the Riverfront, Lake Renwick Heron Rookery Nature Preserve, or Settlers’ Park.
As personal injury lawyers, we’re proud to provide legal aid to those in Plainfield. With offices in Peru, Ottawa, Morris, and Chicago, our law firm is prepared to represent injury victims all over Illinois.
Benefits of Working With a Personal Injury Attorney
Depending on your injuries and the other losses you suffered as a result of your accident, you may think you can handle your personal injury claim and the negotiations with the insurance company on your own. While you have the legal right to do so, there are a number of benefits that come with working with a Plainfield attorney.
Even minor injuries have the potential to result in significant pain and suffering. As such, you may not have the energy or drive to have difficult and potentially taxing conversations with an insurance adjuster or opposing legal representation. Additionally, you may unknowingly say the wrong thing to an insurance adjuster, which could prejudice what the insurance company will ultimately offer in your case. When you work with a lawyer, you’ll have the time and space you need to focus on healing, while your lawyer handles the difficult conversations and legal paperwork.
In addition to managing your claim, your lawyer will be able to value your claim properly. While you’re likely focused on losses like incurred medical bills and lost income, there are other damages to take into consideration when pursuing an injury claim. Your lawyer will be able to determine if future losses for medical bills or lost wages should be taken into account. There’s also the potential for compensation for noneconomic damages like pain and suffering and loss of enjoyment of life. These damages must be developed properly to assure that you get maximum compensation through the settlement or trial of your case.
Overall, your attorney will provide you with peace of mind and take the proper steps to ensure your financial future is secure. The lawyers at Schweickert Ganassin Krzak Rundio, LLP have extensive experience handling personal injury claims and we’ll provide you with the legal representation you deserve.
Contact Schweickert Ganassin Krzak Rundio, LLP
As you can see, working with a Plainfield personal injury lawyer increases your chances of making a full recovery after an accident. We understand you may feel hesitant about pursuing a claim, especially when you’re dealing with physical injuries and mental trauma. But, as your legal representative, your attorney will handle the legal matters of your claim and inform you of what’s happened every step of the way. You’ll always be aware of the decisions you can make and what the next steps are.
As mentioned, a statute of limitations does apply to your claim. As such, the sooner you get in touch with our law firm, the sooner we can begin investigating your accident and building a claim that will help you attain maximum compensation for your injuries.
If you’re ready to start your claim or you have legal questions regarding your rights, schedule a free, no obligation, case review with an attorney today. They’ll go over your legal options and help you decide how best to proceed to secure your future. Contact us today for more information.