State of Illinois
Serving North Central
Illinois for 40+ years.
We'll evaluate your
case for free.
Experienced in the
most complex cases.
You pay nothing
unless we win.
We'll travel anywhere
to meet you.
We're available when
you need it most.

Ottawa Premises Liability Lawyer

When you’re on someone’s property, such as a restaurant or even a friend’s house, you rarely think about your safety being in jeopardy. However, there may be some unfortunate instances where accidents occur because of the property owner’s negligence and you sustain injuries. If they had taken measures to keep the premises safe or warn you about dangers on the property, perhaps your accident would not have happened. If you sustained injuries on another’s property because they failed to keep it safe, you may be eligible for financial compensation under premises liability law. Our firm has experienced Ottawa premises liability lawyers who will fight to get you the justice you deserve.

Schweickert Ganassin Krzak Rundio, LLP is a personal injury law firm dedicated to helping those who have been wrongfully injured. We understand the uncertainties that may be going through your mind after you are injured. You’re trying to take care of your health, figure out how much work you’re missing and how long your recovery will take. You may also be dealing with harassing insurance adjusters. They may try to have you make an official statement right after the accident, before you know the kind of injuries you have or before you know what treatment will be necessary. If you make a statement about pain in a certain area, but find out it’s because of an injury elsewhere, they may take the position that you only mentioned where the pain was and you’re only covered for the one area.

An inadequate settlement can lead to financial difficulties. We can help you protect your best interests and help utilize the real facts to give your claim the best chance of success.

Where Can People Sustain Premises Liability Injuries?

Premises liability injuries can happen to anyone. If they’re on an unsafe property, an accident is just waiting to happen. There are several ways people can sustain injuries because of properties with poor maintenance:

  • Loose wires
  • Debris covering walkways
  • Dim or no lighting
  • Unstable floor or railing
  • Pools without fences
  • Cracks or potholes in parking lots
  • Uneven sidewalks

When the person in charge of the property is notified about potential hazards, they’re supposed to take measures to fix the issues as quickly as possible. If they cannot fix them, then they should block off the area or post some kind of warning so others know of the danger.

Homeowners have a responsibility to others on their property as well. For example, if they are dog-owners, they need to make sure the dog is secure so it can’t escape the property or harm others. If the owner doesn’t fix a hole in a fence, the dog could escape and possibly bite someone.

These kinds of accidents can result in injuries. Let’s look at what kind of injuries people can sustain.

How Dangerous Are Premises Liability Injuries?

When you’re hurt on another’s property, the injuries can be significant. Here are a few examples of possible injuries:

Many of these accidents can leave you with permanent injuries and consequences. Your road to recovery may be filled with corrective surgeries or rehabilitation. You may also require medical equipment to aid in mobility. Continued care and medical devices will mean future expenses.

Your injury may affect your ability to be gainfully employed. As you’re adjusting to this new way of life, you may be worrying about how you’re going to continue maintaining your quality of life without work. Your lawyer will help you get compensation so you won’t have to worry about the financial costs of the accident. You’ll be able to focus on getting better without worrying about how to proceed with your legal case.

Your attorney can also provide crucial information on how to protect your claim. Read more to learn about what you should do after an accident and how it can benefit you in the future.

Protect Your Claim

Whether you’ve suffered from a slip and fall accident or from a dog bite or animal attack on someone else’s property, you may need immediate medical care after the incident. If you’re too hurt to move, call 911 if you can or ask someone to call emergency services for you. If you’ve been hurt but don’t need an ambulance, you should report the accident to whoever is in charge. You’ll make a written report of what happened to have an official record of the accident. This can help you with your claim later.

You need to seek medical treatment as soon as possible. This will allow you to have an accurate record of your injuries and what it’s going to take to heal them. Waiting to see the doctor poses several threats to your claim. It gives the insurance company the impression that your injuries weren’t as severe as you claim, and it also allows your injuries to worsen. The insurance company may claim you are not entitled to financial compensation to take care of your injuries if you allowed them to get worse than what the original accident caused.

When you’ve reported the accident and have your medical evaluation, you should get in touch with our firm as soon as possible. We’ll schedule a free consultation to go over your case and determine the best way for you to proceed. We will help you seek compensation to cover the costs of your medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.

Latest Articles

News & Insights