Our lawyers fight for the rights of car accident victims who have suffered injuries and financial losses. When you’re injured, you shouldn’t have to bring a claim on your own. Often times, people who need the assistance of an attorney end up with unfavorable settlements because they accept what the insurance company tells them at face value. Unfortunately, the settlement amount the insurance company calculates could be much less than what the person deserves. Our Morris car accident lawyers are here to prevent this from happening and to get you the full compensation you deserve. Schweickert Ganassin Krzak Rundio, LLP is a firm dedicated to maximizing the compensation our clients are entitled to.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a car accident, you deserve representation you can depend on. Our experienced Morris attorneys know how to navigate complex claims and how to protect your rights to get you the maximum compensation. Before learning more about how we may be able to help you, let’s take a look at the laws about car accidents in Illinois.
Illinois Car Accident Laws
Drivers need to report accidents when they meet certain criteria. Under Section 11-406, the law details a driver’s duty to report an accident. They need to make a report if any of the following events occur:
- The accident results in injury or death
- The accident results in property damage above $1,500
If your accident resulted in serious injuries, you may feel that your life is in turmoil. Getting in touch with one of our lawyers in Morris may be the first step in helping you find clarity. We may also be able to help if the accident resulted in the loss of a loved one. While we cannot undo the tragedy of what happened, our wrongful death lawyers could bring you peace of mind that you fought for justice for your loved one.
When Negligence Causes Car Accidents
One of the main questions you probably have after an auto wreck is how it happened in the first place. Anytime a person acts negligently, they endanger others around them. While they may not think what they’re doing could cause others harm, it only takes a second of inattention or distraction to lose control of a car.
In 2017, Grundy County had 1,026 crashes, 4 of which were fatal, 32 caused incapacitating injuries, and 208 resulted in injuries. It possible some of these crashes were preventable. Let’s look into the main causes of car collisions.
- Texting and driving. When a driver is focused on their phone, they are distracted from the road and could run into someone, drift out of their lane, or hit a fixed object like a telephone pole or tree.
- Speeding. A driver going above the speed limit will have less time to slow down to avoid other cars and will have less control of their car. If a situation happens where they need to quickly stop, they may not be able to do so and cause an accident.
- Failing to signal. When drivers are changing lanes or are making a turn, they’re supposed to signal so the cars behind them know what’s happening. A car that makes a sudden change could hit another car.
- Driving while intoxicated. If the driver is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, their cognitive faculties aren’t clear, and they won’t be able to safely operate a vehicle.
- Faulty auto parts. There’s also the chance the driver wasn’t at fault for the accident. They could have a defective auto part that causes something to fail, such as the brakes, and they lose control of the vehicle.
Our car accident attorneys in Morris are experienced in investigating car accident cases and scenes. We’ll assess what happened to find out the cause of the accident. We’ll also review your medical records and speak to your treating doctor so we understand the nature and extent of your injuries. The severity of car accident injuries can vary, but they can significantly impact your life. Some types of car accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Internal organ damage
- Spinal cord injuries
- Broken bones
These injuries have the potential of preventing someone from returning to work, or will require a long recovery period. It’s likely you’ll have to miss work during this time, which can cause extra stress. Some individuals may try to return to work too quickly and either re-injure themselves or make their injuries worse. This can complicate things because your settlement or jury verdict will likely not cover treatment for those injuries because they weren’t caused by the initial crash.
Our lawyers will be able to advise you on what you should and shouldn’t do to make sure nothing you do adversely impacts your claim. You may benefit from knowing what you can do at the scene of an auto collision.
What Should You Do After a Car Accident?
When you’ve been in a car accident, you’ll likely be disoriented and unsure of what to do next. You need to assess if it’s safe for you to move. If you’re able to move, try to get your car out of the way of traffic. Then you can proceed to these steps:
- Call emergency services. Paramedics will take a look at your injuries and anyone else who was involved in the accident and police will make a report of what happened.
- Get driver’s information. If possible, speak to the other driver or drivers involved in the accident. Get their name, contact information, and insurance information. You should also get their make and model of their vehicle.
- Gather evidence. Take pictures of the accident. Include close photos of vehicle damage and try to get full photos of the accident scene. These may help your lawyer figure out what happened. You may also want to speak to any eyewitnesses and get their information, too.
- See a doctor. No matter how you feel, you still need to get a doctor’s medical evaluation as soon as possible. It’s possible you may have injuries and not know it. Your doctor will be able to identify injuries and start treatment.
- Call a car accident lawyer. After you’ve taken care of your health, call a lawyer who can help you with your claim.
You’ll have more peace of mind knowing someone is protecting your best interests. Let’s look into how having a personal injury lawyer at your side can help your claim.
The Benefits of Having a Personal Injury Lawyer
When you’re seeking compensation after a car accident, professional representation increases your chances of getting full compensation for your injuries. You may be facing considerable financial losses because of the accident. The costs of your current medical care plus your hospital and treatment bills could be extensive, let alone the stress of lost wages and the pain and suffering and loss of normal life you’ve experienced.
A car accident attorney will fight for your rights and build a case that will effectively present these losses so your case can be understood by a jury or insurance adjuster when the time for trial comes. You can begin the process and give our firm a call today. Our lawyers are ready to listen to your case and provide you with a free consultation to tell you the options you have and how to move forward.