What To Do After A Truck Accident
Presented By Schweickert & Ganassin, LLP
- COLLECT information at the scene!
- Remember, the trucking company will send investigators right away.
- You need all of the following:
- Trucker's name and license plate number
- Name, address and phone number for the trucking company
- Names and contact information for any witnesses
- Name and badge number of investigating police officer
- Take PICTURES of the accident scene, including SKID MARKS, any VISIBLE INJURIES and PROPERTY DAMAGE.
- Stick to the FACTS of what happened. Don't say anything admitting fault.
- SEEK medical attention right away, even if you feel fine!
- Truck accidents often cause INTERNAL INJURIES or BRAIN DAMAGE that may have delayed onset symptoms.
- DOCUMENT every medical appointment, including mileage and travel time.
- CALL an attorney right away,
- Your attorney needs to work immediately to secure critical EVIDENCE for your claim, such as the truck's "black box" data and hours-of-service log.
- NOTIFY your insurance company of the accident.
- Without timely notification, they may deny your claim. BUT
- Stick to the facts of what happened - don't say anything admitting fault.
- Do NOT speak to the trucking company or their insurance company!
- If they call you, decline to answer their questions and ask them to talk to your attorney.
- Never give a written or recorded statement without consulting your attorney first.
Don't let the trucking company push you around. Schweickert & Ganassin, LLP will protect your legal rights. Serving LaSalle County & Northern Illinois. Call (866) 604-9075 today.